THE HISTORY OF KLS PUREPRINT - HOME BASED BUSINESS BECOMES THE WORLD'S GREENEST PRINT HOUSE
A manual letterpress in a kitchen - small beginnings
Preben Larsen operated his first manual printing machine in his parents' kitchen in 1946. His father Knud and he printed business cards and stationery here. The family business worked hard to survive, and despite much adversity it was successful. Up through the early 1960s, the shop expanded from two men and a kitchen table to 22 men, 600 m2 and a number of printing machines. Since then, it evolved into a modern industrial company.
The next generation takes over
In 1982, the next generation took over the family business and set a new agenda. In 1984, the company moved to large (1,800 m2) new facilities in Glostrup and increased the number of machines and employees significantly.
The first environmental certifications
In the 1990s, work began to modernise the company and prepare it for the future. It was certified in accordance with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 and was certified to use the Nordic Swan ecolabel.
The vision of being the world's greenest printing house
In 2001, the seeds of the green strategy were planted, and that same year the company earned the Municipality of Hvidovre Environmental Award. In 2007, after the installation of a new and professional board of directors, the big decision was made. The company decided to work toward becoming the world's greenest printing house.
The green project gets support
In 2012, the company began work on the development of 100% biodegradable printed matter, completely free of harmful chemicals and heavy metals. The groundbreaking project received support from the Danish Business Authority, its Fund for Green Business Development and the Capital Region.
Biodegradable printed matter
Three years later in May 2015, the first 100% biodegradable PurePrint item saw the light of day. Former environment minister Ida Auken, CEO of Carlsberg Denmark Carsten Hänel and the Mayor of Hvidovre municipality Helle Adelborg, pushed the button. In 2016, the name changed to KLS PurePrint emphasizing our company's commitment to its vision of sustainability.
THE HISTORY OF KLS PUREPRINT – FROM LETTERPRESS TO THE WORLD'S GREENEST PRINTING HOUSE
Milestones on the road to sustainability
1946 Founding of the company
1996 ISO 9001 Quality certification
1997 Certification to use the Swan label
1998 Move to the current premises in Hvidovre
1999 ISO 14001 Environmental certification
2001 Municipality of Hvidovre Environmental Award
2008 Climate Cup Strategy Award
2008 FSC certification
2009 CO2 neutral certification – the first printing house in Scandinavia to achieve the certification
2010 Purchase of the first electric car and Denmark's first electric truck
2010 Purchase of electricity from wind turbines (100%) and an owner's share in the Hvidovre Wind Turbine Cooperative
2012 Climate friendly white roof installed
2012 Municipality of Hvidovre Environmental Award
2015 Cradle to Cradle certification - the second commercial printing house in the world to achieve the certification
2015 Printing of the first PurePrint item
2016 Enterprise of the Year in Hvidovre
2016 Name change to KLS PurePrint